Roulette’s history in the gambling world dates back to the 17th Century. Since the 17th Century, casino lovers have had the time of their lives on the roulette table while others have made a fortune. Whether you are more interested in just having a fun time playing roulette or you are more intrigued by the prospect of scooping some handsome and life-changing wins, your experience playing the game will be much more worthwhile if you play from a much-informed position.
This guide breaks down the basics of roulette that allow everyone including the casino newbies to learn how to play roulette. The article however goes further beyond the basics hence equipping players with the necessary knowledge that not only allows them to play roulette but to become pro roulette players.
What is Roulette and the Objective Behind the Game
Roulette is a game that entails betting on the outcome of a wheel spin. A large wheel with different (numbered) red, black, and green slots is the roulette wheel. It is this wheel that spins and when it does, a ball is thrown by the dealer. When the wheel comes to a halt, the ball will randomly rest in any one of the wheel’s slots. Depending on the slot the ball rests in as well as the bet the player placed, the player will either emerge victorious or not.
A fascinating thing about roulette is that it is a two-faced game. Many players perceive it as a relatively simple game. This perception is indeed true but it’s just one side of the game. Roulette also has a complex side. Thanks to this two-faced nature, the game appeals to different player types – those interested in simple gameplay and those more fascinated with complexity.
The two-faced nature of roulette lies in the fact that it offers two distinct betting options. Namely, these are the outside bets and inside bets. More on this is explained later in the article.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Play Roulette
Once you know the objective of the game, you can start a gaming session and enjoy the fortunes that the wheel spin offers. To initiate the gaming session, just follow the steps illustrated below:
- Start by selecting the roulette table you want to play at, at any of the trustworthy online casinos. In doing so, be guided by the table limits. Every table has its specified minimum and maximum bets allowed. The table you go for should have limits that align with your bankroll
- Briefly watch the action on the table to see if any distinct patterns may help you place probable winning bets. Note that when playing at some land-based casinos, you can even check if the dealer throws the ball at a certain angle as well as judge the velocity. Getting these correct may help you enhance your winning chances
- Once you feel like you are ready to join the action, place your bet. Always stick to the standard bankroll management guidelines to ensure you play as long as possible hence increasing your chances of walking away as a winner
- Wait for the dealer to announce ‘No More Bets’ or for the betting window to close. The wheel is then spun and the ball is thrown. When the wheel comes to a halt, the slot the ball rests in is marked as the winning spot and any bets placed which correspond to this slot will win.
The Different Types of Roulette Bets
There are two distinct types of bets which players can go for. Inside bets entail betting on exact numbers. These bets appeal more to players who love playing complex games that offer high odds. As inside bets offer high odds, it means the payouts players stand a chance of winning once their bets are successful are very high. Some of the most popular inside bets include:
- Straight Bets: Betting on any 1-number
- Split Bets: Betting on 2 numbers
- Street Bets: Betting on 3 numbers
- Corner Bets: Betting on 4 numbers
- 5 Number Bets: Betting on 5 numbers (only available when playing American Roulette
- 6-Line Bets: Betting on 6 numbers
For those who prefer simplicity, the outside bets offer the best route to take. Outside bets are bets which don’t involve specific numbers. Rather, they allow players to bet on a large group of numbers. Owing to this, the likelihood of winning when placing such bets is high. Inversely, however, outside bets offer low odds. Some of the popular outside bets include:
- Dozen Betting: Betting on 12 numbers or a dozen
- Column Betting: Betting on 12 numbers in a row
- Low Numbers: Betting on numbers in the 1-18 range
- High Numbers: Betting on numbers in the 19-36 range
- Colour Betting: Betting on red or black colours
- Even or Odd: Betting on even or odd numbers
Many players especially casino beginners have challenges when it comes to placing roulette bets (chips) on the roulette table. To help players on this front, the table below as adapted from Venetian Las Vegas illustrates how to place both inside and outside bets. Note that the numbers on the inside and outside bets explained above correspond to the numbers on the roulette table below.
General Roulette Rules to Keep in Mind at All Times
- When playing at land-based casinos, different players use different coloured chips for easy identification
- The value of the chips is dependent upon the price players pay for them
- Roulette chips are redeemed at the same table the player is playing at
- Players may place multiple bets at once including a fusion of both inside and outside bets
- Refrain from using overly complicated and complex strategies as roulette is a game of luck.
When playing roulette, players are guaranteed to have loads of fun. It doesn’t matter whether one is winning or not, the game especially when played at land-based casinos or at live online casinos that offer ultra immersive atmospheres will ensure that players have the best time of their lives. Of course, as winning is a key component of the gambling culture, players will find great comfort in that roulette offers two distinct types of betting options hence players should pick the option which they are most comfortable with.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. What are the recommended betting options to start with for roulette beginners?
Roulette beginners are advised to start with outside bets as they offer the highest likelihood of winning.
Q2: When playing at a land-based casino, how much should players tip?
The recommended tip that players should leave if they win is 5% of the profit they won.
Q3. Is it possible to place multiple bets when playing roulette?
Yes, it’s allowed to place multiple bets when playing roulette. Players can even place a fusion of both inside and outside bets.